Friday, March 20, 2009

The History of carpentry




The history of carpentry is that in 1863, before British columbia became a provine, carpenters organized their first union in victoria and vancouver. The first local of today united brotherhood of carpenters and joiner of america was formed in victoria in 1883, and a vancouver local followed in 1890. As the province grew over the next century, so did the union. Today there are 27 locals. In 1899, shortly after the union was a successful strike by the building trades for the 9 hour day. Eventually, the unions were able to negotiate the 8 hour day and, in some cases, 7 1/2 half hour day. In the year 1333, in london england, a grooup of carpenters founded their own labour organization. They called it the carpenters guild of london and it is now of the oldest existing social institution in the great britain.The carpeters guilds received a formal charter ftrom ther crown in 1477- 144 years later. The capenters made themseveles a coat- of- arms which is shown on this page. The full title of the brotherhood was now the master wardens and commonality of the mistery of freemen of the carpentry of the city of london. One day mcguire proposed at a meeting of the new york central labour union that a festive day be set aside for demonstration and pinic.

4 comments:

  1. Great information. I am editing the Wikpedia article devoted to "Carpentry," and I'd like to use this information, but I need to know where you found it. Did you use a book or a web site to inform this writing? If so, it would be great if you would let me know. Please send me this information at tsalpaugh@gmail.com - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! galway floor fitting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. wasl properties for rent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. Sofa washing service near me

    ReplyDelete